Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Jasen Shane Busby - Texas

Jasen Shane Busby was put to death tonight in Huntsville, Texas. He was 28 years old. In his final statements, Busby acknowledged his role in the murders and apologized for the agony he had caused. Busby was only 19 at the time of the killings. He served almost one third of his life on death row. There is now a third victim to those killings. This one is a different kind of tragic, but doubtless no less painful for Busby's family. I hope and pray that his victims' families can now find some sort of peace--if this is what they needed to get there.

Inmate executed for double slaying of girls

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

pleased to see this thug executed. The world will not mourn him - remember his victims instead. He was no 'victim' - he chose to do what he did.

CarrieJ said...

I'm not sure why I'm choosing to respond to this comment, but I feel better about responding to it than I do about deleting it. Jasen Busby was no choir boy. He was, in fact, a cold blooded killer. Perhaps you are right, the world in general will not miss him. That does not mean he deserved to die, or that we had the right to take his life. Just because he chose to take the life of another does not mean that we can choose to take his. Jasen was only 19 years old at the time of the murders. He was only 28 when he died. Its all a tragedy. It is especially heart breaking for the families of the victims. I hope that none of the readers of this blog ever think that I do not feel heart sick for the families of the victims. Keeping this blog is not easy on me. Every day, I read about death. I read about the pending death of an inmate and then I read about the horrid crimes behind their incareration and the loss of life associated with them. However, no matter how much those crimes turn my stomach, I continue to believe that we do not have the right to take another human life. Even if no one in the world missed Jasen Busby for even a minute, we still did not have the right to take that life. The death penalty serves no purpose but vengence, and vengence is nothing more than violence.