Thursday, August 26, 2004

James Vernon Allridge III - Texas

Well, they killed him. The State of Texas proved it has no mercy where it comes to convicted killers. I had come to a sort of peace with James' pending death sometime yesterday. It was around then that I knew he would not be getting another stay. Still, I cried tonight when I read of his death. I had never met James, nor had I even spoken to him, but he represented something to me about the human condition. James represented the meaning of a second chance. James received a lot of attention due to his art and the friendship he had developed with Susan Sarandon. However, its not his art that made him rehabilitated. Its not his friendship with Sarandon. Rehabilitation is about attitude and day-to-day actions. From everything I have read, that kind of rehabilitation was evident in James on the day he died and for many years before that. This man had changed.

James Allridge was pronounced dead this evening shortly after 6:00pm. His final statement was calm and specific. Allridge spoke to his family and then to his victim's family, stating, "I am sorry. I really am. You, Brian's sister, thanks for your love. It meant a lot. Shane, I hope he finds peace. I am sorry I destroyed you all's life. Thank you for forgiving me. To the moon and back. I love you all."

God bless you James. I trust you have peace. I pray that the Brian Clendennen's family has also found some sense of peace.

Remorseful store clerk killer executed in Huntsville

No comments: