Thursday, August 05, 2004

James Barney Hubbard - Alabama

Well, they killed him. The State of Alabama executed 74 year old James Hubbard tonight. After 25 years on death row, Hubbard was pronounced dead at 6:36 pm tonight. Hubbard reportedly had colon cancer, prostate cancer and dementia. According to his lawyers, he was hardly able to stand. Still, the State insisted on killing him before his body laid down and died on its own. What purpose does that serve I wonder? From what I understand, there was likely no question Hubbard was guilty, but this one isn't about whether the Justice system got it right. This one is about human dignity. The purpose certainly isn't deterrence. I highly doubt any potential murderers out there are going to shudder in their shoes when thinking about Hubbard's execution. He spent 25 years on death row. That's over one third of his life. Is it retribution? The man was dying anyway. He had spent most of his life in a prison. How does this pay back society? Perhaps it is meant to be punishment, but frankly I think the real person punished was Hubbard's daughter.

I wish the Supreme Court dissenters had drafted an opinion. I would have liked to read what they had to say. I think its unfortunate that the majority doesn't have to issue an opinion on the question presented. I suppose though that by denying a stay, the Court is really saying that 74 is not too old. Here's hoping that this decision is not a sign of what may come with Roper and the execution of juveniles.

Alabama Executes 74-Year-Old James Hubbard

No comments: