Wednesday, June 23, 2004

It appears that the Alabama Attorney General has a bee in his bonnet as far as executing death row inmates. He's vowed to speed up the appeals process so that people don't sit on death row as long and the state can get on with their executions. I guess I just don't get it. For me, I think the appeals should take as long as they take. Someone's life is as stake, shouldn't we take as much time as is needed before killing them? Once they're dead, they're dead. You can't bring them back because of a rushed mistake in an appeals court. At the same time, I think it is cruel and unusual punishment to let someone sit on death row for 20 years and then execute them. At some point, I think the death sentence should be commuted. Its just too much mental anguish for one person to make them sit in a tiny cell alone for 23 hours a day for 20 or so years contemplating their own death.

Alabama to Speed up Appeals

No comments: